Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Camera Class

I have a confession to make. Several years ago we got a nice camera for Christmas... like entry level professional. It has been on auto ever since. I've read some of the manual and some online photography tips... but it was so intimidating. I'm better with Photoshop than I am with working my camera. But there is only so much you can do in Photoshop if you start with a poor quality photo. In three short hours, I learned more than I have in the three years since having the camera. In fact I learned that even our little point and shoot digital camera I have is capable of a lot more than I thought. What changed? I took a class, taught by my favorite photographer. It was awesome. Right on my level. Hands on. So cool. If you are in the area or can get to this area, you really should check it out. There's another class next week. I learned so much that I need to practice.

When I can stage a photo, with good light etc. things are okay. Most of the time, however, I am trying to capture a spontaneous moment with my girls, who are moving fast, with poor indoor light. Now I know a few tricks to compensate for that. For example, I learned how to make a photo that looks like this:


look like this:I'm just beginning. I love my camera more than ever. I hope my progress shows as I practice with the photos I take for this blog.

1 comment:

Meredith Carlson said...

Thanks for the shout-out Aly. Love you